Thursday, February 5, 2009

1 WEEK LATER!!!!!

It has already been 1 week since my first Chemo and so far so good. I have been a bit nauseous, but no vomiting, Thank you Lord! That is the one thing I dreaded the most was been sick.

Last week Wednesday I went for a fill at my plastic surgeon and when done there did my favourite pass-time, Shopping... We were have a social for cell that night, Waffles and ice cream yummy!!!! After getting everything, note ice cream, and driving home on a nice summers day in the Cape, I got a call from the Oncology unit to say that they had a script for me and that I needed to take these tabs 1 hour before chemo. I dropped home to put the ice cream in the freezer and dashed to the oncology unit in Panorama, which is fortunately not far. I arrived there at 4 and got the script got onto the phone for the medical aid, as this had to be authorised and they close at 5. Got to the pharmacy, only to be told that they do not keep these tabs in stock it must be ordered, which could take a day or two. I was so mad, but managed to stay calm and called everywhere to find if they stocked it. Eventually I ran out of ideas, so I called the oncologist who said that the hospital pharmacy keeps it in stock, if only the ladies at the reception had told me, would never have left the hospital in the first place. It was not 16:55, I called the pharmacy at the hospital and they said yes they do have it but they close at 5, actually their systems for the public are shut down already. Fortunately they suggested that I go to the pharmacy opposite the road, if they did not have it, they can then come and collect from the hospital.Phew what a relief. i called that pharmacy and asked them to get it ready for me. No wonder no one stock it, it cost
R540 for 3 tablets. But hey who cares, they worked.

We arrived at the centre at 9 and waited to see the doctor, we were with her for about 5 minutes, she just asked whether we had any more questions and how I was feeling. I asked for sleeping tabs!!!
We went through to the Chemo room and they sat me down and explained everything to me, step for step and how I would feel etc. They first administered an anti- nausea medication then the a flush, then the dreaded red chemo. I was fine until I saw this red stuff running into my veins and just burst into tears, fortunately the councilor was there and came to chat to me. Felt better after that. Then a few other patients came to chat to me, to say that they also had breast cancer etc. The lady opposite me was very sweet and kept on talking to me, she got married in Dec and gave me the photos to see. The strange thing is that we only spoke about how her hair came out for the wedding, and the first thing I commented on was her hair in the photos. We both started laughing, as it is strange that normally a wedding you say how nice the bride looked on a whole, but all we could speak about was her hair. Funny how our whole mindset changes with situations we are faced.

They then flushed then gave me the clear chemo, then flush again then another anti-nausea. We were there for 4 hours in total, Ed had to leave to go out and I had to wait for him. During the chemo I developed a terrible headache, they gave me 2 panados and I passed out as soon as they removed the drip. Ed's phone call woke me up. I was extremely tired after that, we went to fetch the boys and then straight home and off too sleep. I could not speak to anyone as I was too sleepy, felt as though I had taken the sleeping tablet already.
Friday also slept quite a lot and then Saturday started to surface nicely and see what was actually happening in my home.

Sunday went pretty well, still slept quite a lot. Monday was back to work, but could not stay the whole day, had to leave at 3. The rest of the week went pretty well, stayed at work for the full day. On Wednesday night I developed sores on my scalp, called the oncologist and was told that it is the folicles that are getting irritated and that the hair would fall out soon. On Thursday morning I had to go for blood tests to see how the chemo was working.

Friday morning I woke up feeling fine, but on the way to work, I started to feel so sick and just pretty awful. I got to work and waited for my colleague to get to work and came straight home and climbed into bed. That is where I stayed for the rest of the day, then when Ed got home, my head started to hurt so badly, that I had to go to the doctor. The doc said that my ears had so much pressure that he was surprised that they were not hurting as well. I got pain killers and antibiotics and climbed back into bed.

Saturday was a pretty chilled day at home and Sunday I feel 100% better thank to prayers.

God is really good and hears our prayers!! Thank you Lord

No comments: