Wednesday, March 4, 2009

2 Weeks after the 2nd one



What a month it has been!!!

Lots and lots of news to share with you, so much has happened over the past month, since my last post.

In Summary I became and aunt again to a wonder boy, I lost my hair and had my 2nd chemo, my sister and family were involved in a armed robbery and my oldest son Brandon has been doing so well in his Tennis, winning most of his games, my youngest has been doing very well in Chess and is now top of the junior log at school.

Now for a more in depth report......

The 2 weeks after the 1st chemo, on the Wednesday I developed pimples on my head,I called the oncologist and he said that the hair would start falling out soon after that. So that was the wait. On Tuesday 10 Feb, my sister-in-law in London gave birth to a big boy, Jayden, weighing in at 3.58Kg, I am still so sad that I can't be there to just hold him and kiss those nice chubby cheeks. The next day on Wednesday the 11th of Feb, the dreaded thing happened, I was showering and washing my hair and looked at my hand as there was a whole lot of hair in my hand. That was the start, it just got worse as the days went by, on the Sunday night I just could not take it any more so I got out the shaver and started to shave my hair. There were bald patches and my hair was looking so thin, it was also starting to matt, so I could not brush it at all. When I started, Ed took the shaver and said that he would do it for me, i just burst into tears seeing the hair on the floor. It was tough for Ed as well, but he was so strong for me shame....
The next morning Gareth asked to have a look, so I removed my bandanna, he had a look and asked me to please cover it, Brandon did not want to look at all. I was a bit worried that this would set them back a bit and called Brandon's councilor, only to be told that they no longer offer the service for nothing, that we had to pay R200 per session. We decided to wait and see how it went and so far so good.

My next session was 18th of Feb, I went for my blood test on the 17th and went for chemo the next day. We parked nice and close, only to be told that the doctor was in the other room, which is quite a way to walk, but I made it there and back. I had lost 2.7kgs, which made me very happy. Then the chemo started. I felt a bit better this time, but cried like a baby again when the red juice started flowing, but Ed was able to console me, he really has been such a pillar of strength during this whole thing. Shame he woke up on night and forgot about the hair and turned over and go such a fright when he saw me lying sleeping with no hair. But otherwise he is doing great.

Last week Monday, I developed a kidney infection and boy do I know the symptoms well. On Tuesday we celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary, we never went out, but braaied at home, just the 4 of us, it was so nice. That same night I discovered that the pimples on my head was back and this time with a vengeance, it was worse than before and and immediately turned white and red. The doctor had given me an antibiotics for the sores, so I did not go to the doc for Kidney infection. The pimples are better, just got scabs now and I am unfortunately scratching them, trying hard not too. I put Caladryl on to stop the itch. The kidney infection also only cleared on Sunday, but thankfully it did clear. So far this week no complaints just a little tired, but doing ok. Next week I am back for my 2nd last chemo, will see how that goes. So far I have been very blessed with my side effects besides the pimples on my head and the lack of hair, a bit of nausea, I really can not complain, life is pretty much back to normal, I am working full day and surviving each day.

Now enough about myself, my Brother and Sister in law welcomed their new baby boy, after a very long labour they were blessed with Jayden Neal de Wit. I baked him a helicopter and we had a tea and cake at my house the Sunday that I shaved my head, to celebrate the birth of Jayden.

On Thursday 19th of Feb, my sister and 2 kids were in the new Spar in Bothasig, doing a bit of shopping. They were in the shop when a few guys came in and started waving guns around and took money and cellphones from everyone. God's protection was really over them as they were not harmed in any way, just my nephew's cellphone was taken. It was pretty traumatic for me as I was too tired to go to be with my sister, in a time that she needed support, I had just had chemo the previous day.

On the same night my other nephew Ruanne was receiving certificates and prizes at school for Excellent work and for finishing above 80% for grade 8. He is doing so well at school, I am so proud of him

Now for my kids. Brandon plays tennis for the school B Team as well as for the Club u14B team. He has been doing so well and winning most of his matches. He missed the WP trials as he was sick, this was very disappointing for us all, but one of those things.

Gareth has reached the top of the junior league of Chess, he is doing so well there and really enjoying playing. It is so good for them to be involved in sport.

Ed is also enjoying playing league touch rugby, they have been moved up this year to 3rd league. He is enjoying every moment of it. Shame he often offers to stay at home with me, but I know he needs to do some sport to keep him active and his mind occupied. It is good for stress as well.

We have a family wedding at the end of this month and Rob, Rose and Jade will be coming down, so nice to see them all again, we really miss them.

God had really been our pillar of strength and sent people who are so supportive to our rescue, it is so nice to know that He is always there for us.

Take care of yourselves and remember I'll be back

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lindika, you are truly someone for all to admire. I've known you for so many years, and throughout those years, you've always been a caring wonderful woman.
The strength you are showing through this difficult time should be a lesson for all of us, and we admire you for it. Note sure if you've seen yet, but I posted some pics on facebook. Go and have a look. Just wanted you to know that I love you like a sister, and my thoughts are always with you and your family !! God Bless. See you soon.
Love Garth

Lindika said...

Ag Garth this is so special.
You are like a brother to me too, I was just looking through some photos and saw some of you when you were much younger.
See you soon.

Lots of Love
Lindika